Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm Stumped

Way back in July I pulled a large cedar stump out of the flood pile at my parents cabin while on vacation with the kids.  It sat outside our house for a long time until finally my husband got around to cutting it into 3 - 19" stumps (that is the height of this West Elm stool).  The process is simple.  Sand until you do not think you can sand anymore.  And then sand some more.  You get the picture.  Oh, and times that by three if you are making multiples like I did.  I finished mine with Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Now the dilemma is where to place these stools/tables in my house.  I have a few favorite places.

My Daughter's Room

I can picture a industrial style goose-neck lamp perched on it here.

The Living Room

Lined up in front of the fireplace.


Or cozied up to the couch as a table.

In The Ensuite

As a side table by the tub.

Or as stools under the towels.

In The Master Bedroom


In the Basement

As a side table.


  What do you think?  Cast your votes on what location or combination.  Remember there are 3 stumps.

12 comments:

  1. that is such a cool piece of furniture/decoration! i love it..i want to copy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as stools under the towels. What a beautiful yet unexpected place to see stumps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you can move them all around !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be moving them around all the time. I love one by the tub though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bathroom or bedroom--love the look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't pick! how about rolling them from room to room every few weeks? and when you tire of them you can roll them on down to my place!!

    how did you get all the bark off of them???

    visiting from beyond the picket fence,

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am your newest, AB follower :). Love your home and style. Those stumps are just too cool and it's hard to pick a favorite spot! I like it by the tub, or by the shower door if it doesn't mean they are in the way. Great job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy oh boy, that's a hard one - I like them all, which means you need more stumps ;o)
    Greetings from NB,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous!! How can you choose which room to use them in? You should get more tree stumps so you can have them in every room! LOL! I really love the warm contrast of the stumps against the cool gray in the bathroom! I featured you today!!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/10/five-feature-friday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous- I've been looking for some good stumps for a while now. I like them in each of the rooms you put them in! The look so dramatic in your bedroom and bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the one by the tub and the two under the towels by your shower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them in the bathroom! I think I'm going to move my stool in there right this minute! Thanks for the idea :-)


    ....and your house is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete